Built by the Arabs about 400 meters high on the rock of Monte Tauro, the Castello Saraceno allowed to dominate on Taormina and its beautiful bay, and control the valley of the river Alcantara. The area of Monte Tauro coincided, in greek-Roman times, with the seat of the ancient acropolis less Taormina, Tauromenium. Castelmola represents the upper. It is likely that Muslims have used the fortress to defend themselves from the siege of the Normans of 1079. On that occasion the Count Roger, building a series of wooden towers all around the fortress, isolated himself in fact Muslims barricaded there, cutting them every type of supply. The only months hard resistance. Saraceno Castle of Taormina was during the reign of Frederick II, delivered to a noble castle. Today it is possible to appreciate the external walls of the building. Internal ones, however, were destroyed.

Address

Our Address:

Via Madonna della Rocca, 9 Taormina

Leave a Review

Publishing ...
Your rating has been successfully sent
Please fill out all fields