The church of San Francesco di Paola was once home to the convent of the Friars Minims of St. Francesco di Paola o Paolini, who took possession of it in 1617. The church was originally the cathedral of Taormina and was dedicated to Vergine Assunta.
A plaque walled in the landing of the local neighboring former hospital St. Vincent shows, however, that the complex was built in even more ancient times. The many events to which was subjected the ancient Cathedral have at some point deformed style. The Friars – the foundation of the convent – made adaptations and transformations of the old church building, then expropriated under the law on the suppression of religious orders of 1866.
The church survived, in more recent times, the 1943 bombing was restored between 1944 and 47 by the architect Armando Dillon.
As a result of the restoration work it was possible to eliminate part of the superstructure of more recent times. The church core is formed by an aisle that in a first half was covered truss, namely wooden beam ceiling. Apart from the main aisle, there are two side openings with lintels into three pieces. To the left there is a small, almost square window, of a widespread shape of Taormina, having rounded edges and with two connecting brackets between lintel and edges.
The side walls of the nave, have two different structures; on the left there are arches, of which the center is supported by two columns of gray granite from the greek theater.
The design and arch shapes near the entrance, they date its construction in the late fourteenth and early fifteenth centuries.
The oldest structures of the first church-cathedral are from the Byzantine era.
Viale Apollo Arcageta, Taormina